Tuesday, August 10, 2004

One Afternoon Stand, Don't Tell my Girlfriend, She'd Never Understand

I am not sure, but I think that it might make a better short story than a poem, but i needed to get this out of me before it was long forgotten.

On the Matress, She Taped a Note: "Linda 586-773-5683"

Welcome to "The Great Indoors"
the teenager boy said as I enterd,
"Don't forget 'The Great Home Sale'
If you need help, please ask an associate"
And he handed me a circular. After
his grandeous greeting, I walked
through kitchenwares, where hand-painted
coffee mugs wear stickers
pridefully as though the were the new
sheriff in town. Then the appliances
where refigerators now cook, clean,
and flip through my favorite TV stations
while I cook half-inspired meals;
or so they say.
After a quick glance at vaccums
more akin to nuclear weapons
than household appliances, I found
the escalator to "Bedrooms."

Slowly I walked through a variety of bedrooms,
"Henry the VIII" with Roccoco
stylings, the "Princesses Tower" with ruffles,
and a four post bed featuring lacy trimmings,
then I found it, "River Glen." A nice woodsy
display of a king size oak bed, a headboard
of raw knots and above the bed, a painting
featuring a man fly-fishing. "This
is my room" I said as I crawled
into bed, pushing
my feet deep into the covers like walking
into a slow moving river
with my waiters and rod. Peacefully I set
the circular on the bedside table
pretending to turn off the lamp
pretenting it was a tree. A lay my head
back on the pillow, turned to my side
to check the comfort,
then suddenly,
a soft hand gently moved from my waist
to my chest, a body moved in close
behind me and a young female voice asked,
"So what do you think? This bedroom
set is on special for 15% off with an
additional 10% if you become
a "Great Indoors Memeber" today. Slightly
shocked and mostly intregued, we cuddled
spoke about our long days, marvelled
over the comfort of the "River Glen Suite"
then she rolled to the other side
of the bed. So I turned my head,
and rolled like I would down the gulch
into the river, till I came close enough
to whisper, "I love
this bed" and she took my hand,
drew me hand across her torso
and said, "I am Linda, if you have any
questions about my department,
please feel free to ask."

Customers walked by, first the old couple,
the man frowning, the woman smiling, then
the family that rushed through quick,
but we kept whispering, as though we were
in the dark of my flat, listening to the waves
of Lake St. Clair lap up on shore, as though
we saw forever in each others eyes. She turned

to look at me and our eyes met, and our whispers
stopped, there was no lure in my tacklebox
that could hook such a beauty and I realized
"it couldn't last forever." We stodd and she
smile and I smiled,
and I said I want to takeher home,
refering to the bed of course,
and her toes stretched and she kissed
me on the forhead. "I am so happy,"
she replied. And I took

the "River Glen Suite" home
with me. When the cashier asked,
"Did our service meet or exceed
you expectations," I didn't know
what to say but "I was treated
as though I were loved," and that said,
I returned home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home