Monday, October 25, 2004

Pirates love poetry

On a comedic-opera kick, I picked up Gilbert & Sullivan's The Pirates of Penzance (and also The Mikado and H.M.S. Pinafore) at the Library. Good suff, but I found a great section of the first act finale that I had forgotten about. I think its applicable to this group.
PIRATE KING:

Although our dark career
Sometimes involves the crime of stealing,
We rather think that we're
Not altogether void of feeling.
Although we live by strife,
We're always sorry to begin it,
For what, we ask, is life
Without a touch of Poetry in it?
(all kneel)

ALL:
Hail, Poetry, thou heav'n-born maid!
Thou gildest e'en the pirate's trade.
Hail, flowing fount of sentiment!
All hail, all hail, divine emollient!

Yeah. And good ole Amazon lets you listen to the best part it for free in Windows Media or RealAudio. Seriously, do it. It will make your day.

2 Comments:

Blogger ziegenhagen said...

The only thing better than poetry is piracy...trust me, I would know. So what could be better than poetic pirates??? Sex maybe...but God I love pirates. Thanks Van Morrison, well found and said as always. Yo ho...drink up me poets!

2:23 AM | Permalink  
Blogger KTB said...

"but why is all the rum gone?" -pirates of the carribean

10:45 AM | Permalink  

Post a Comment

<< Home